This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  21  22  23   
Author Topic: On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Anthony Allen (an inside centre hewn from the days when they didn't need to be a spare fly half) will get a chance when Ashton's given the boot. Shane Geraghty, as long as he isn't struck down by the International Injury Curse of Simpson-Daniel, will also be a contender.

Nick Wood of Glaws looks a good bet for prop, long term.

I am worried about second row. We have a lot of "lineout" locks (Kennedy for one, being criminally overlooked in favour of Kay who's trundling around), but Shaw aside, there's no big man to truck it up and shore things in the locking department. Mad Danny's too old. Palmer's not big enough (and indeed seems to have gone backwards) and Deacon seems not quite there.

I agree about hooker, Regan should be retired now and a young understudy brought in for Mears.

Frankly, Mike Brown should be at full back for England. He's bang in form and angry as ever. For starters, he's a proper bloody full back, imperious under the high ball and with a big boot. So he's not got top end gas? So what? He has the ability to get past players in the tightest situtations. On his own he's set up several tries in Quins' last few games by beating a man in no space, muscling through another tackler and offloading to the man outside him to go over for the try. Solid as a rock defensively, too, unlike a certain blond idiot.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rysible Ryle meant that Ireland would have a better chance of winning the championship if France lost, so for once in his life he was actually right.
I actually watched this on RTE in Cork over the weekend (at Lowrey's Bar, opposite the Isaac Hotel, a wonderful little place). Of the three studio pundits I recognised Conor O'Shea but I didn't know the Aussie bloke or the brightly dressed old sweat.

Presumably the latter was Ryle?

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ryle Nugent was the actual commentator during the match.

The Antipodean guy on the panel was Brent Pope -- actually a New Zealander who played over here for St Mary's in the late 1980s and never went home. Decent forward -- got picked for the All Blacks' 1987 World Cup squad, but didn't make the tournament due to an elbow injury or something.

The "brightly dressed old sweat" (wonderful description) was George Hook, a boorish blowhard who used to coach Connacht and the USA national team. He is basically on the RTE panel to say outrageous things that have little or no connection to reality. He's Irish rugby's answer to Eamon Dunphy.

Hook wrote a mildly entertaining memoir a couple of years ago. The thrust of the narrative was that he used to be a thoughtless, self-centred tosser who had a string of business failures and treated his wife and kids like shit, but he's since seen the light and become a better person. From what I've heard on the grapevine, however, his prickish ways have yet to be fully eradicated from his personality.

He said in the book that he was "not close" to Pope (i.e. they don't like each other), and also more or less admitted that he and Tom McGurk (the panel's host) hate each other's guts. Having said that, McGurk's a cunt as well. I could tell you a couple of interesting stories about him.

[ 25.02.2008, 19:40: Message edited by: Lt. Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McGurk did seem a bit offish with Hook at times - curtly cutting him off in mid-sentence a lot.

Quite a little story on their own, that panel, although watching in a bar you don't catch a lot of the nuances.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McGurk seems to be like that with everyone.

He does a column for the paper I work for. A few years ago, the editor was forced out by the paper's parent company, over a controversy involving articles that we'd run about the tax affairs of a certain tycoon who is currently close to the FAI.

This did not go down well with either the staff or the union, so a couple of emergency meetings were called. McGurk unexpectedly turned up at both. He addressed the throng a couple of times during each meeting, at length and uninterrupted, expressing his outrage at what had happened and how it was a bad sign for a free press, and so on. Later, our chief executive and the head of the parent company both spoke about why the editor had been removed. McGurk repeatedly cut across them and verbally bludgeoned them into, not submission, but certainly stalemate. These guys were corporate heavy hitters and not easy to face down.

He was on our side that day, but basically he is not the most congenial man in the world. I'd never seen him in the office before then, and I haven't seen him since.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
interesting story. why didn't they just fire mcgurk?
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian Ashton is a senile old cunt. He has called up Danny Care (yay!) but has retained the services of the panto villain Regan and IAIN CUNTING USELESS TOSSPOT CUNTHEAD BALSHITE ! IS HE FUCKING MAD, SENILE, INCOMPETENT OR JUST SO STUBBORN HE MAKES MULES LOOK THE VERY SOUL OF AFFABILITY?

I cannot believe that this is anything other than a fuck you to the Press and public for daring to question his darling godson's pisspoor performances thus far in the 6N. Fuck me, against France he fucked up everything he touched with consummate ease and then had the nerve to shout the blame at someone else. Even Will Greenwood, who until now has been reluctant to criticise his former team mate, laid into his atrocious display on The Rugby Club last night.

If this is progress towards a bright new dawn, count me the fuck out. So far under Ashton's reign we've seen precisely fuck all of this amazing attacking backs game of which he has been the high priest according to some and nothing but stodge and shit. Bloody hell, even Andy Robinson managed to get us to play half competently (losing by only 4) against the Umaga era All Blacks. Fire the cunt now. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

interesting story. why didn't they just fire mcgurk?

It would have been appalling PR and made the paper look very bad, especially hard on the heels of the editor being forced out.

The paper has a good image nationally, unlike a lot of other Sunday titles in Ireland, and the top brass are very careful not to let anything interfere with that.

ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo I'm off to Dublin. Might even be getting tickets to the game. Shame Ireland have found some form, but for once I think we might give them a tough game.
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

Wales name Jones S at fly half against Ireland.

Wales:

Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Mark Jones (Llanelli Scarlets), Tom Shanklin (Cardiff Blues), Gavin Henson (Ospreys), Shane Williams (Ospreys);

Stephen Jones (Llanelli Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys);

Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ian Gough (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys, capt)

Replacements:

Duncan Jones (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Llanelli Scarlets), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Gareth Delve (Gloucester), Dwayne Peel (Llanelli Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Sonny Parker (Ospreys).

Interesting. Perhaps they've gone for Wellies to control the game more than Hook and then bring on the young maestro when it loosens up. Gatland seems to be following his historical form by picking the rufty-tufty scrum half over the more purists' choice.

Balshaw plus 21 others to be announced at 2 p.m.

Eggchaser
Member # 921

Balshaw named, but not in the starting line up

England team to face Scotland at Murrayfield, Saturday 8 March:

D Cipriani (Wasps)
P Sackey (Wasps)
J Noon (Newcastle)
T Flood (Newcastle)
L Vainikolo (Gloucester)

J Wilkinson (Newcastle)
R Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks)

A Sheridan (Sale Sharks)
L Mears (Bath)
P Vickery (Wasps, capt)
S Shaw (Wasps)
S Borthwick (Bath)
T Croft (Leicester)
M Lipman (Bath)
N Easter (Harlequins)

Replacements: G Chuter (Leicester), M Stevens (Bath), B Kay (Leicester), L Narraway (Gloucester), P Hodgson (London Irish), M Tait (Newcastle), I Balshaw (Gloucester)

Not real changes. All he's done is shuffle the deckchairs. Vainikolo starting, Noon starting, Vickery starting, no JSD, no Cipriani at 10, no proper full back at full back yet again.

I fail to see much improvement in the team for a match we are going to win, so we should be looking to get good time for our younger players. Another conservative, wasted opportunity by the doddering old fool.

When we win this and squeak a narrow win against Ireland, no doubt we'll be "progressing" and "taking steps forward" when actually, nothing has changed. /mocker gods mode/

About the only good thing is the removal of Balshaw (still blighting the bench) and Regan.

Edit: Ashton said he wasn't going to pick Tait at full back on the basis that he hasn't had enough experience there yet. Now, he's been playing there for Newcastle this season, he's played there and been decent for England on several occasions. Cipriani, who hasn't played full back at all this season, is picked against a Scots team who are likely to bomb the crap out of him with up and unders. It's just disorganised and hypocritical. WHY NOT PICK A FULL BACK AT FULL BACK, YOU OLD CUNT?

[ 04.03.2008, 14:47: Message edited by: Eggchaser ]

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I'm distraught about that Wales lineup. Haven't seen ours yet...
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

Well, Jackman's been dropped.
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AN Other; Bowe, B O'Driscoll (capt), Trimble, Kearney; O'Gara, Reddan; Horan, Best, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Leamy, D Wallace, Heaslip.
Replacements: Jackman, Buckley, M O'Driscoll, Easterby, Stringer, P Wallace, Horgan.

Murphy and Dempsey both a tad injured. If they don't make it, Kearney will go to fullback, and Horgan onto the wing...

Tough on Berj, I think. His throwing was crap, but so was Best's when he came on, suggesting it was the jumping rather than the throwing.

Good to see O'Connell back.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

Toro, this is at least the third occasion on this thread that you have tried to excuse Bernard Jackman's abysmal throwing by blaming the other forwards, all because he plays for/used to play for two teams you support. Can you not just accept that he had two bad games and does not deserve to keep his place?
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC