This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why, but I have a sneaking feeling Scotland might be a good bet for this year's championship. England look like they're going to experiment a bit, France could just treat this as a "re-build" after the World Cup, Wales seem to be in turmoil and Ireland's best side is two years in the past.

Scotland are 14-1 for the championship, are the one squad who might be genuinely "up" for it, and I think might cause a "surprise" or three.

[ 09.01.2008, 21:52: Message edited by: Rogin the Armchair fan ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Vainikolo had played for Tonga at the World Cup, Ashton would have been sacked before the quarter finals.

This one is so far off the irony meter I can barely see the screen for all the snorted snot. More gobsmacking than an Aussie cricket captain complaining about the opposition's insults. Chutzpah defined.

Welcome to the Orwellian language of English rugby, where bringing up the children is called poaching, but helping yourself to the adults is not.

Brilliant. Just ... brilliant.

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick Abdominamenialdelon (sp) and the words error, free and game are mutually exclusive.

He has potential but like Mike Brown, his place in the Saxons squad is exactly where he should be.

Tait will suffer from utility back syndrome, but should start ahead of Balshaw. The real odd 'un will be Foden. Is he a 9 or a 15? Will he stay at Sale? Wiggy seems to have cemented the 9 shirt at EP but there are strong rumours that the Welsh connection are targetting Dwayne Peel for next year (Peel, Hodgson, McAllister....oh my giddy heart). so unless he's happy as a 15, I can see him at Wasps or Bath come next season, and then it's a straight fight with Ellis for the England shirt full time.

As for Scotland...well they have England, France at home, and three away games so I'd be pretty surprised to see them win it, I just don't see them winning in Cardiff, or matching England up front.

As for France, haven't a clue....their entire first choice tight five needs a rebuild, who'll captain? Jauzion? The backs will be ace, I'm just fascinated by who'll be in the pack.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to the Orwellian language of English rugby, where bringing up the children is called poaching, but helping yourself to the adults is not.
Quiet, poacher, or I shall invoke the spirit of Wayne Barnes.

Geraghty (LI player alluded to earlier) has been injured for some of the season but has made the "A" team. Whether he'll end up at 10 or 12 is unknown yet, but the "A" team have some seriously promising young players, some of whom should have been in the full squad.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why was Vainikolo not in Tonga's squad - was he already holding out for an England call up or was he not considered?
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He wasn't available for Tonga in the World Cup (hadn't played a single game of Union - now he's played 9).

I'm also pretty certain Tonga aren't competing in this years 6N.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also pretty certain Tonga aren't competing in this years 6N.

Ho, ho, ho, hark at the comedian ...

He wasn't considered for Tonga in the World Cup probably because, at the time, he hadn't played a single game of Union ... would have been sufficient.

I ask a sensible (ill informed, perhaps) question and you take a sarcastic line.

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's a solicitor...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

That will be 14.50 plus VAT, please.

It's a rum day when you get shot down on OTF for making crap jokes, especially given the number of toe-curlingly awful puns that people gleefully trot out at the drop of a hat.

marsupialman
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for marsupialman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start as we mean to go on. In the absence of England at Euro 2008, this thread will surely become a useful repositry for ABE jibes and the subsequent attempted (in vain)comebacks.

Shame to see Ibanez jettisoned from the French squad two caps short of the 100 mark. Dead harsh that.

Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

No ABE from me ... in fact it's more likely to be ABW
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Start as we mean to go on. In the absence of England at Euro 2008, this thread will surely become a useful repositry for ABE jibes
Wales seem to get more of a general kicking on most Rugby threads.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marsupialman
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for marsupialman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would only deride Wales for the utter ineptitude of their administrators. If you lead that to one side, you've got an utterly brilliant rugby culture.

I do think Wales will be better this year. Gatland and Edwards will work some wonders and if he stays fit, this could be a breakout year for Gareth Delve.

Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

We don't need ABE jibes. We're quite capable of lacerating our team without any help from them foreigners.

I was interested to see Gatland saying that only players turning out for Welsh teams will be selected. Whether that will be a problem remains to be seen.

Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gatland's suggestion is with this caveat ;

quote:
However, the policy should not affect those already playing outside Wales, only those who in future take contracts away from the four Welsh regions.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC