This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread (Page 21)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's something you don't see very often -- an eye-catching try by England.

That's the end of Ireland, who will not come back from 13 points down, and of Fast Eddie.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hearty congratulations to the entire Welsh contingent, even those who don't like rugby.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you noticed how Liverpool only win the European Cup in years when someone's done the Grand Slam?

France 1977
Wales 1978
France 1981
Scotland 1984
Wales 2005
Wales 2008?

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help but get caught up in the spirit of Welsh rugby when Wales have a good team (when they don't the moaning is unbearable) and they've got a very good team at the moment. Even the line-out was OK today.

The tongueing of Cipriani was very annoying, the wrost example being when he failed to find touch from a penalty (criminal really) and all they said was "England fail to find touch", but every time he did something good they mentioned his name 7 times. He did look very good indeed though.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers ursus. Fantastic achievement by us.
Ryan Jones is great isn't he?

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One draw back was seeing Prince William muscle in on the scene.
But then the crowd did boo him and the players largely ignored him.
Good work.

Let's pick a Lions team as if they were to play next Saturday.

15. Byrne
14. Strettle (Let's pretend he's fit)
13. Shanklin
12. O'Driscoll
11. Williams
10. Cipriani
9. Peel
8. Jones (Captain)
7. Williams
6. White
5. Jones A.W.
4. O'Connell
3. Jenkins
2. Paysyamoneytakesyachoice
1. Sheridan

Cipriani is a joke of course. I'd take Hook and Jones. Wilkinson will get the nod.

Naturally of course this won't happen.

[ 15.03.2008, 21:46: Message edited by: Fausto Ptang ]

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fawning over Cipriani was a bit much, but he played very well and showed a bit of flair and ambition that England have been desperately short of.

I think the popular myth that England forwards instictively want only to ruck and drive opponents into the ground was exposed today. The likes of Easter, Lipman and Mears have never looked happier than being actually given a bit of a run with ball in hand.

We should try it more often.

Wales, of course, were superb. Congrats to all concerned.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Eng-Ire was actually a very good, dramatic game, but England's play was strewn with errors that a better team would have punished them for. Too early to start talking of a renaissance of any kind.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
12. O'Driscoll
Is this a gag? O'Driscoll has been in awful form for at least the past 12 months, probably longer. The point has been reached where his undroppable status is starting to be openly questioned.

It's indicative of France's strength that they came third despite treating the competition as a series of warm-ups to test out their young players and second-stringers. The rugby they played against Scotland and Ireland was the most exhilarating of the tournament.

[ 15.03.2008, 23:15: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

Well, I was hoping that his talent would be rediscovered if he was playing in a successful team. I reckon it should be Henson really, but that would have made the team have 9 Welsh players (10 if you had Hook or Jones at fly half).
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it is what you think the Lions would be if picked by a notional coach or what you yourself would pick?

HB beat me to point out that on form O'Driscoll shouldn't be in an Ireland team let alone a Lions. Henson (and the Henson/Shanks combination) cannot be ignored.

I wouldn't go for Peel, Phillips and possibly Reddan had better tournaments from what I saw (Eddie Butler has Blair in his TOTT). My vote would go for Hook over Jones in the interest of forward thinking.

Yesterday was just wonderful, even watching it in a Colchester pub full of English football fans ( though they seemed to appreciate the rugby and Wales' achievements) as opposed to being there like the last time we won the Slam.

[ 17.03.2008, 00:10: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

I was hoping that his talent would be rediscovered if he was playing in a successful team.

Not a hope, Ptang -- O'Driscoll has been a back issue ever since those two All Blacks assaulted him in the opening minutes of the Lions game in 2005. He'll never get close to his 2001-2003 form again.

Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

Really? I know there are reservations over his personality, but you don't think the old addage about form being temporary and all that?
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

btw what did Cipriani say after the match yesterday? Did I miss him swearing?
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

Indeed I did.
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC