This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should pick;

15.Murphy
14.Horgan
13.O'Driscoll
12.Trimble
11.Fitzgerald/Bowe

10.O'Gara/Sexton
9.Reddan

1.Horan
2.Jackman
3.Healy
4.O'Kelly
5.Cullen
6.Leamy
7.O'Connor
8.Heaslip

Will pick;

15.Dempsey
14.Horgan
13.O'Driscoll
12.D'Arcy
11.Trimble

10.O'Gara
9.Stringer

1.Horan
2.Flannnery
3.Hayes
4.O'Kelly
5.O'Callaghan
6.Easterby
7.Wallace
8.Leamy

I'd have liked to see Jennings, Gleeson, Trevor Hogan, and Ian Humphreys in the mix, too.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with Rogin on page 2 - Scotland are a very good outside bet for the championship, given the odds that are available. They have the two toughest opponents at home so they could spring a surprise in one of those matches, and Wales and Ireland both look beatable to me (not that I'm in any way an expert).
I do think they have a genuine chance of winning the triple crown (winning the championship might be a bit much, as Scotland usualy don't score enough points to finish ahead of the likes of France on points difference). As I said on page 1, I can easily envisage them beating Wales and Ireland in a tight game, but if either of them click Scotland could get dicked.
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see former Ireland international Eddie Halvey has managed to escape jail after smashing into a parked car and killing a 16-year-old while drunk at the wheel of his SUV. The rugger old boys network is alive and well . . .
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though to be fair didn't they ban for life that Irish guy (Brennan?)who jumped into the crowd a la Cantona when visiting Ultonia hordes called him a Fenian bastard?
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brennan himself was an unpopular figure among Irish rugby's top brass, in part because of his "rough" background (ex-milkman from Leixlip). He was most definitely not One Of Us.

The Halvey episode sends out a pretty appalling message regarding drink-driving.

[ 17.01.2008, 16:09: Message edited by: Lieutenant Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That also wasn't the IRFU's doing - Brennan's offence happened in France, in a Heineken Cup game.

That's pretty shocking about Halvey, without knowing the details. Though he wasn't an especially popular figure himself, outside Shannon RFC...

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
France finally name players:

Backs: Jean-Baptiste Elissalde, Morgan Parra, Francois Trin-Dhuc, David Skrela, Florian Fritz, Damien Traille, Vincent Clerc, Julien Malzieu, Cedric Heymans, Aurelien Rougerie.

Forwards: Julien Brugnaut, Lionel Faure, Jean-Baptiste Poux, William Servat, Dimitri Szarzewski, Loic Jacquet, Lionel Nallet, Arnaud Mela, Julien Bonnaire, Thierry Dusautoir, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Elvis Vermeulen.

No Chabal, Bruno, Thion, Mignoni, Poitrenaud. New faces Lionel Faure (thanks, no loosehead at Sale now), Brugnault (Prop), Mela (2nd Row), Parra (SH), Malzieu (Centre....fantastic player) and Montpelier;s highly rated FH Trinh-Duc, who'll be at either Stade or Toulouse before too long.

It's a genuinely progressive selection, and looks strong enough to win the title this year.

New coach, new players....why didn't Ireland or Wales think of that.

Bernard Jackman....hee....

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Berj is having an absolutely fantastic season for Leinster - he's probably been their best player so far. he's worked like a bastard on his throwing, Keith Wood says he can't believe the improvement. And he's lost a good deal of weight, muscled up, clevered up quite a bit. Definitely Ireland's form hooker.
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, but 31, learnt much of his trade outside of the Irish setup, was overlooked for years.

Central contracts, controlling the players, yet the likely starting no.2 is almost an accident from a structure perspective.

He may be the in-form player, but his inclusion should be viewed as a failure by both O'Sullivan and the Irish Union.

Discuss.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
French side is a bit short on full backs but long on wings - presumably Heymans will be piggy in the middle.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
New coach, new players....why didn't Ireland or Wales think of that.
What new Welsh players would you have picked, GIK? Genuine question.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

quote:
Aye, but 31, learnt much of his trade outside of the Irish setup, was overlooked for years.

Central contracts, controlling the players, yet the likely starting no.2 is almost an accident from a structure perspective.

He may be the in-form player, but his inclusion should be viewed as a failure by both O'Sullivan and the Irish Union.

Discuss.

Okay.

He played two years in Sale. That's not really "learning much of his trade" at all. It helped him progress, certainly, but not as much as he has done since then. In nearly a decade, on and off, at Clontarf, he has gone from the Connacht side to the fringes of Leinster, to one of the first names of the teamsheet. He's been capped a couple of times in friendlies, particularly when there have been injuries, but never previously been in sufficiently dominant form to command the attention of the selectors as anything more than an option for the bench or someone worth having a look at.

Steady career progression and improvement, whose culmination may happen partly as a result of injury. Was Brendan Cannon's almost identical elevation at 31 a failure of the Aussie Union and Eddie Jones?

GIK
Member # 40

Great case for Jackman, but in 4 years he'll be 35. Flannery should start, if only because he's younger, but I actually think he's a better player.

I've nothing against old Bernie, he was a very decent bloke and a pretty competent hooker in his time with us, and I acknowledge he has improved massively...or is he just playing with better players?

Maybe I'm too hung up on the World Cup, and that Bernard's inclusion is a fair reflection of the state of play in Ireland, but now should be the time to think about including your prospects.

Having said all that, Flannery should be having six weeks off soon, the stamp on Bonnaire looked pretty bad.

Member # 465

It really did. I'd forgotten about that.

I appreciate that Berj probably isn't one for the long term. but one way he does help in that regard might be to ease Cian Healy, who plays with him at both Clontarf and Leinster, into the fold.

GIK
Member # 40

Harry...as earlier, Thomas and Hewitt in the centres, Ceri Jones is a decent shout up front. I think Stoddart needs looking at again.
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC