This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, must have missed your earlier post. Which Thomas?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Richards out for the tournament, which leaves us with Gomarsall, who's been disinterested since the World Cup and two uncapped candidates, one of whom, Hodgson, has been poor for several months.

Mind you, have England ever had a decent competition at scrum half? I mean, we've had Bracken vs. Dawson, conclusively won by Dawson's persistent lack of injuries, plus Richard Hill the elder vs. Dewi Morris (tie on points), but otherwise it's been whoever is available. The rugby tragedy of Nick Duncombe haunts the English game (the human tragedy speaks for itself).

At least Simon Shaw seems fit. One last tilt at the windmills for him. Bad business with Sackey, though.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marsupialman
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for marsupialman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strettle & Lesley on the wings?
Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah, must have missed your earlier post. Which Thomas?
Lee.

Strettle & Vainikolo to start...I hope not. None of the fit wings are exactly setting things alight this season, except for Vainikolo perhaps, and my objections to him are pretty well stated.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strettle yes. I suspect Cueto on the other. I am not happy with vainikolo's presence in the squad on the back on less than half a season's experience of top flight Union, plus the message he sends out to young talent.

Strettle has looked good when he's had the ball (not many times). We're worried he'll go elsewhere fairly soon if he's not getting the service he requires.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prospect of Strettle, Cueto and Balshaw isn't exactly awe-inspiring. Their club form has been patchy at best. Balshaw in particular was dire last week against Ulster. Cueto looks like he needs a good break, and well, Eggy has described Strettle's season thus far.

Simpson-Daniel should start.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GIK,

I see, I thought your original mail meant a second Thomas in addition to Lee.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

If Balshaw is picked I'm supporting Wales.

According to Ashton, Simpson-Daniel's too fragile to be trusted over an extended period of international rugby. That's why such injury-proof players as er, Balshaw, are preferred to him.

Well, we'll see how Strettle does against Sale. I'm hoping for a valiant loss at best ("We're one step away from it clicking, young team, nearly there, unlucky" - Dean Richards is sounding more like 1000 yard stare England era Andy Robinson by the match).

Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry Flannery has been given a thoroughly deserved eight-week ban for stamping on Bonnaire's head and will miss the entire Six Nations.

Ireland's scrum will now be spearheaded by a man who looks like he should be working behind the bar in some awful ballroom shebeen type place in darkest Roscommon.

-

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

Easter's buggered his knee up again in training. Moody's groin is sore (quiet at the back). Even Worsley's not fit and I'd take his 90% rugby for the experience. We could end up with a backrow of

6 Croft/Haskell
7 Rees/Lund
8 Haskell/Narraway

Now, a few years down the line I'd like to see that sort of lineup, but against a combination of Martyn Williams, Ryan Jones, Jonathon Thomas, that blond nutjob Alix Popham or even Gareth Delve I'd be a bit worried.

What price a Dallaglio comeback and screams of anguish from this quarter? I'd prefer Corry, for God's sake.

Eggchaser
Member # 921

Ireland squad for Italy

Forwards

Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
Simon Easterby (Llanelli)
John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
Jamie Heaslip (Clontarf/Leinster)
Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
Bernard Jackman (Clontarf/Leinster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Donncha O’Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Mick O’Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Malcolm O’Kelly (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

Backs

Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster)
Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
Ronan O’Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Wasps)
Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

Not Considered

Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster) - Suspension
Paul O’Connell (Young Munster/Munster) - Injury
Alan Quinlan (Shannon/Munster) - A Team
Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster) - A Team

So, same old, same old. 15-17 players get a game, nothing changes for EOS...

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Woo Hoo! Come on, Berj.

Fucking rank squad selection. Rob Kearney and Tony Buckley's elevations are encouraging, but there's next to no hope of them getting on the pitch. And Buckley shouldn't be ahead of Cian Healy.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

And now rumours of Six Nations matches on a Friday night from 2009 if the TV companies get their way.

I think we should look to the advice Rob Wainwright offered the camera crew during a conversation with Dr James Thingy in Living With Lions. He may have meant it in jest, but I don't.

[ 25.01.2008, 15:30: Message edited by: Eggchaser ]

and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry Flannery has been given a thoroughly deserved eight-week ban for stamping on Bonnaire's head and will miss the entire Six Nations.

why don't the police get involved? He stamped on someones head. He should go to jail.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

England: I Balshaw (Gloucester); P Sackey (Wasps), M Tindall (Gloucester), T Flood (Newcastle), D Strettle (Harlequins); J Wilkinson (Newcastle), A Gomarsall (Harlequins); A Sheridan (Sale Sharks), M Regan (Bristol), P Vickery (Wasps, capt), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Bath), J Haskell (Wasps), L Moody (Leicester), L Narraway (Gloucester).
Replacements: L Mears (Bath), M Stevens (Bath), B Kay (Leicester), T Rees (Wasps), R Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks), D Cipriani (Wasps), L Vainikolo (Gloucester).

No Tait or Cueto. Hmmm. Pretty bold, but need to think. Regan's inclusion still baffles, Mears deserves a start, as does Stevens.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC