This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Andrew Murray's desertion and cowardice pays off (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Andrew Murray's desertion and cowardice pays off
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having decided that his apparently career-threatening injury was too bad to even try to keep Britain in the World Group of the Davis Cup last week (he'd have needed to win two singles games against players ranked lower than him and play a game of doubles with his Grand Slam-winning doubles-playing brother), Murray, this week, waltzes into the final of the Marseilles Open. His ranking could reach a career high if he wins today.

I hope all the union jack-waving morons who ruin Wimbledon every year remember this, in deciding who to cheer for this year. Because a few weeks later an undoubtedly Murray-less Britain will be getting stuffed 5-0 by someone like Australia or the Galapagos Islands as we sink back into the European peninusla group three playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Murray as an individual, he's a fantastic talent and - for him - I hope he does win Wimbledon. But I don't want it accompanied by all that "Land of Hope and Glory" bollocks, given he can't even be bothered to play for his country.

[ 17.02.2008, 08:15: Message edited by: Rogin the Armchair fan ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
given he can't even be bothered to play for his country
I'd have a lot more time for him if he insisted on only playing in the Davis Cup if his real country was allowed to take part.
Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he lives far enough away (Monaco, Gstad?) to be a big SNP supporter.
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he doesn't want to play for "his country", why should he have to?
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because there's at least an implicit assumption, as in other sports, that club or individual players represent nationally in return for support, facilities etc. provided by their nation.
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, weren't the LTA funding (at least in part) Brad Gilbert to coach him? Though most of Murray's development did occur outside of British tennis.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wyatt, he doesn't have to, of course. My point is that having chosen not to, the pillocks in the plastic union jack hats at Wimbledon should bloody well stay away this year, too.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And he's won, 6-3 6-4.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two title wins out of three entered this season.

Impressive.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two wins in minor events (possibly underselling Doha, that), one 1st round loss in the only tournament so far this season to really matter. Bitch of a draw in that, of course, but even so it makes the record look rather less good.

Murray didn't pull out of the Davis Cup because of injury. He pulled out because of 'risk of injury'. There was never any question about him being fit enough to play in Marseille this week and in big Master Series events that are coming up in the States in March.

I'm fairly sure all top ten players since McEnroe, basically, have made the same decision as Murray did at one point. Federer certainly has, repeatedly. Wrong surface at the wrong time int he schedule, thanks but no. The Davis Cup is an irrelevance.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a minor event, but he hammered Matthieu which is no mean feat.
Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right in that.

But in criticising a man for winning, I see I'm joined by some good company. Boris Becker

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

Oh, and if Murray doesn't want to slide straight back out of the top ten he needs a decent run in Rotterdam next week. Which will be tough given the standard of the field...

The tournament organisers in San Jose would probably have some off the record comments to make about Andy Murray and desertion as well. Their event has been good to him, it was his real breakthrough tournament when he won it in 2006 (yes, there was Bangkok in 2005, but he beat top ten players to win San Jose), and then defend the title last year to get his season on track after 2007's poor Aussie Open showing. But now, as double-defending champion of their event, with a 10-0 career record, he is playing elsewhere.

It's not like he won't have to get out to America soon, anyway. The Indian Wells and Miami Masters Series events are coming up and everyone in the top 100 has to play those.

Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because there's at least an implicit assumption, as in other sports, that club or individual players represent nationally in return for support, facilities etc. provided by their nation.
Yeah, I can see that quid pro quo argument, I guess. The rhetoric of "desertion and cowardice" is preposterous, though. He's batting a ball across a net and trying to get it past the other geezer, not capturing a machine-gun nest in Normandy.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Light-hearted ironic hyperbole, no?
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC