This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Players whose "big stage" careers far outshone their normal games (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Players whose "big stage" careers far outshone their normal games
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He had been seected for the 78 squad before being banned for match fixing in 1980. When the Italian FA realised that they had no-one of Rossi's class coming into the squad, they cut the ban from three to two years.

Although if you're saying he wasn't a household name until the 82 world cup, neither was Socrates or Boniek.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He wasn't simply selected for the squad, Rossi played in every game for Italy in Argentina '78, scoring 3 goals. Thinking of him did make me think of another Itlaian who truly was a one-tournament wonder, though, "Toto" Schillachi.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schillaci is a much better shout for this.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kowalski
Member # 10292

- posted      Profile for Kowalski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only meant during the '82 world Cup
Posts: 595 | From: People's Republic of Llandudno | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this worked with pre-central contract cricket to some extent. Bob Willis, sympathetically handled by Warwickshire, sometimes barely went through the motions in county cricket because he saw that you can't bowl fast all the time. Indeed, as he came on to bowl in one county championship game, he received the legendary heckle "Bowler's name, please!"

Gower was another who could barely be bothered with county cricket. For that reason he scored "only" 53 first class hundreds- much fewer than Gatting (94) and Lamb (89) But to say he always got it right when a test match came along would be overstating it.

Ted Dexter might be another one. Mike Brearley describes one game where he got so bored as England captain, he stopped worrying about field placings or the like and just practised his golf swing. I can't imagine he was always focussed in county cricket. Though no doubt some dinosaur journalist could be called upon to excuse some bad shot on the grounds that Dexter was an amateur.

I'm not sure about players who gave a shit about county cricket but still underperformed.

[ 24.03.2008, 12:55: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC