This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Dead sports (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dead sports
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cyclocross.

I used to love watching cyclocross on Grandstand in winter when the weather was too foul to go out. Muddy blokes on racing bikes haring skinnily round a course in some nature reserve in Epping but having to get off every few minutes to carry the racer over a fallen tree or up a steep hill or around a nasty-looking pebble something. Viewed alongside Kick Start or its junior partner Junior Kick Start it was a useful briefing document for the pre-Terminator generation that The Machines Are Coming To Get Us.

Of course nowadays it's been superceded by alarmingly bucolic South Africans on mountain bikes riding up brick walls and asserting the Southern Hemisphere's imperviousness to all things natural.

Re-reading this I realise that I've turned into Jack Hargreaves while my back was turned.

<jabs thoughtful pipe in direction of otf>

Anyway, has anyone other than Andy C got anything to add?

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barrel jumping on ice skates. Used to be a regular feature of ABC's "Wide World of Sports" winter schedule (almost always from Lake Placid).

Disappeared sometime in the 70s.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wrestling. Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, that other fat one...
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Octopush.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was that sport called on Grandstand which was some kind of rally/touring car hybrid? Cars racing round a small circuit in s stadium some of which was tarmacked and some of which was muddy?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few actual WRC rallies that include "stadium stages" of that ilk. There is also the "Race of Champions" that pits the likes of Schumacher and Sebastian Loeb in supposedly identical cars on a track inside a stadium (I think they did it at Wembley most recently, and had a spin-off (heh) this winter in Cortina d'Ampezzo in which the cars were driving on ice).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grandstand is key here, I reckon. I'm sure these sports still exist, it's just that when the Beeb haven't got any actual sport they no longer have to televise the World Coxed Small-Bore Nasal Football Championships from Stuttgart.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ad Hoc:
quote:
What was that sport called on Grandstand which was some kind of rally/touring car hybrid? Cars racing round a small circuit in s stadium some of which was tarmacked and some of which was muddy?
That was Rallycross - one of the greatest sports ever to have been created!

Allegedly it was actually invented by ITV on a particularly wet Saturday, when all the horse races were rained off, meaning their schedule was buggered. Incredibly (or not) it took off.

It still exists today (see here) but just doesn't get televised. In fact, when Group B(?) rally cars, like the Metro 6R4 and the Ford RS200 got banned from the WRC (or its equivalent) for being too fast, alot of them ended up in Rallycross where they were further souped up - second engines fitted and that kind of thing! Some developed around 1000hp IIRC, even back in the 80s. Whether it was bullshit or not I can't be sure, but I read that some of the rallycross cars accelerated so fast that the drivers could lose consciousness! 0-60 in under 2 seconds, etc!.

Anyway, whatever the details, that is one sport I would dearly love to see back on our screens. I can't believe Dave don't show it actually.

Bjorn Waldergard, Per Eklund, Roger Clark, Juha Kankkunen... *sigh*!

[ 28.02.2008, 10:18: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey. Takes all sorts.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a purely nostalgic longing for the era, Wyatt, don't worry! :-)
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Barrel jumping on ice skates. Used to be a regular feature of ABC's "Wide World of Sports" winter schedule (almost always from Lake Placid).
Was it anything like this?
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Not quite:

-

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cyclocross is massive in Belgium. It's still pretty big here, and has expanded considerably in the last, say, five years.

I don't think it's very far behing mountian biking in terms of competitive - rather than casual - participation at the moment. Mountain Biking is dying on its ass slightly.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rallycross or something like it is in the X Games.

Horse racing, boxing and billiards - all dying on their ass (as pro sports, at least) in the USA at the moment.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some rallycross on Sky. 'Rallyworld' I think it was called. Showed the UK rally stages and some rallycross, mostly in Ireland it would seem. Everyone was in Imprezas or Lancers sadly for all the OTF group B retro gang.

Anyone with an XBox 360, Playstation 3 or posh PC can rallycross in their own home with Colin McCrae Dirt.

Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC