This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » F1 2008

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: F1 2008
Twilight Johnny Atom
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Twilight Johnny Atom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just over two weeks to the start of the new season and the rumours have started already:

Ron Dennis fired.

Denied by McLaren, of course. <new link added as the old story was removed, proving it was BS…>

I say it every year but I'm really looking forward to this season. I'm not expecting any surprises but the racing should be more exciting than it has been recently thanks to some rule changes and there are several potential race winners in the field.

To the first person who replies with 'F1 is boring' or 'I'd rather watch paint dry' - I don't care, I love Formula One and I look forward to every race.

Roll on March 16th!

[ 28.02.2008, 08:21: Message edited by: Twilight Johnny Atom ]

Posts: 1495 | From: Where I stand | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would be rather bizarre timing for such a move. If Mercedes really have decided to take over the team (and the German press has been speculating along those lines for several years), the time to do it would have been over the break, not two weeks before the new season starts.

Then there is the whole Dennis/Hamilton angle. I can't see Stuttgart deciding to do something that would undoubtedly alienate the driver who most certainly is their future.

Marca, which roots for Alonso even more than it does for Real Madrid, has come up with a number of F1 "scoops" in the past that never held water. I think we will be shortly adding this one to the list (they've taken the original story off the front page of their F1 coverage, btw).

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the obviously criptic thread title Tim...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twilight Johnny Atom
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Twilight Johnny Atom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh bugger! Sorry.
Posts: 1495 | From: Where I stand | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd started it too soon...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, given that the Italian police investigating the criminal aspects of the McLaren "espionage" against Ferarri have now raided McLaren's offices and the homes of Dennis and others, and are leaking that they have evidence of "high profile senior management" at McLaren being "responsible" for Stepney's actions, there may be some truth to the resignation rumours after all.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twilight Johnny Atom
Member # 153

From a more reliable source.

A shame in some ways as I believe Ron Dennis to be a genuine and honest man who has been undone by the politics and selfishness of others in the sport but I think it would be for the best. His emotions were very much on show last season and he looked a fragile man. His recent marriage break-up might explain why.

He will leave a brilliant legacy of a strong and competitive team, a more than competent successor and potentially the most exciting and succesful F1 driver of all time.

My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone spot the flaw in this plan?
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a McLaren tried to go slower than a Super Aguri, it'd stall, wouldn't it?

I'd love to see all the cars go round tracks with the pit lane limiter on throughout qualifying.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Bernie suggested something similar a year or two ago.

In the World Touring Car series, they run two races at each track, and reverse the order of the top eight finishers in the first race for the start of the second one.

Something like that might actually work in F1, though you couldn't do it off of qualifying, because the teams would game their qualifying results to maximise their starting position.

And then there is the whole problem of the current tracks, many of which have very limited possibilities for overtaking.

ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they could make the cars much much slimmer, perhaps down to two wheels, and then have a series of events in which the younger / inexperienced drivers start off in smaller engined "cars" (say up to 125cc) and race to start the event, then the next level of racers race each other in slightly bigger ones (let's say 250cc) and then the most experienced ones race on bigger ones still (i.e 500cc)

That sounds like it would be much more exciting. As long as they could ensure that someone whose first name is Casey stops winning.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea of F1 races becoming like slow bicycle races, with all the cars jockeying for position at 10kmh.

If they want a 'reverse ordered' grid, surely the thing to do is dispense with qualifying in all but the first race and place the drivers with the highest points totals at the back?

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what he suggested isn't it?

quote:
"I would like to see the grids in reverse order of championship position," Head told BBC Sport.

[ 11.03.2008, 09:42: Message edited by: ad hoc ]

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

It's a very radical idea, but you just might be on to something there, ad hoc.

Qatar wasn't much of a contest at the front, but still saw very promising debuts at the top level from Lorenzo and Dovizioso.

My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

ad hoc - so he did. For some reason I read the proposal as stacking the grid in reverse order of qualifying times. Hence the comment about slow bicycle races.

Perhaps they should just race in reverse.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC