This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Celtic Circket (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Celtic Circket
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine just pointed me in the direction of a proposal for Wales to break away from the ECB and the England cricket team.

Wales would, like Scotland and Ireland, try and compete in ODI internationals. For tests though, the 3 would join together (as a sort of Celtic West Indies) to compete.

I don't believe that it's something for which there's any realistic possibility, but I'd be interested in how OTF's celtic cricket fans would react to the proposal.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a trial, if the Welsh are up for breaking with England.

Meanwhile, looking forward to watching some cricket at the newly rebuilt Sophia Gardens. I had a look around before the Southern Ireland game in November, before being thrown out by the site security.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading on cricketeurope that cricket is the fastest growing sport in both Scotland and Ireland. Also that Ireland are the current European champions at every age level from -11 to adult, and that's the first time one nation has ever achieved that distinction.
Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably England don't take part in those tournaments then.

It's great news that cricket is growing in popularity in Ireland and Scotland, as I'm sure it is.

Though I'm pretty wary of "fastest growing" claims. They tend to be either highly misleading (Welsh korfball has increased ninefold in size over the last five years making it the fastest growing sport in Wales = there used to be just 1 team, now there are 3 clubs with 3 teams each, and still barely 100 people playing in Wales) or just false.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you see this proposal, Etienne?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

It was just a Facebook group, I don't think it's even a semi-serious proposal. I was more interested in the concept.
Etienne
Member # 95

Mass indifference apparently.

No-one wanting to relive this?

That noted Celt, Kallis, not out of course!

Raskolnikov
Member # 751

- posted      Profile for Raskolnikov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose regular Celt-England ODIs in Glamorgan might provide a broad enough revenue stream to fund the project, though I don't imagine the top Welsh players would be overly-enamoured with the idea of being unable to play top-level international cricket.
Posts: 651 | From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not a Gwenter
Member # 936

- posted      Profile for Not a Gwenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a fan, personally.

Though when I lived in Norfolk, people couldn't understand how I could support the England cricket team quite happily, while at the same time wishing fire and brimstone down on their rugby team, and Ashley Cole.

Posts: 559 | From: Back in Cardiff! Norfolk was an interesting experience, for sure. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

Have you seen Glamorgan play recently, Rasko? The top Welsh players are unable to play top-level domestic cricket. I reckon we'd probably lose to a full strength Ireland atm.

Not a Gwenter, that's the conundrum I'm interested in, as I know plenty of people in Wales with similar attitudes. And there's no way they support an England and Wales football team.

Raskolnikov
Member # 751

- posted      Profile for Raskolnikov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking in particular of S Jones, if he's ever un-crocked. There's a fairly regular Welsh presence in and around the England side - and even if they are very much the lone star of Welsh cricket, I can't imagine they'd be happy to lose the chance to play Tests for England. Of course, any changes might include seperate eligibility rules for ODIs and Tests, and, frankly, a Celtic team would have as good a chance at the WC as an England one, although they'd probably be paid less.
Posts: 651 | From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've asked before, is there any other sport where 'England and Wales' ( or 'ENGLAND...and wales' to give it it's proper title) is a recognised entity?

I amnot counting one-off invitiational teams like the rugby team that played the WRU's (or was it the ERFU's ?) centenary.

I think one of the problems I have with following cricket is this whole issue.

[ 02.03.2008, 22:11: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

No, I do take the point. And it might arise for James Harris if he keeps developing at his current rate.
Etienne
Member # 95

Harry, of course it's been complicated further by the fact that the odd Scot who's been good enough (Denness, Such) has been included too. Not sure about any Irishmen.
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's odd isn't ?

My mate John is a classical red-bearded, kilt-wearing-every-day, Saltire flying from a flagpost at the end of his garden, Scotsman with a capital 'S'.

And yet he's a fanatical supporter of the England cricket team, despite the fact that he would rather cut off his testicles with a broken bottle than say anything nice about the English football or rugby teams.

Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC