This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Pound: Dick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pound: Dick
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cycling is in the toilet", but Dwayne's okay.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What ludicrous spin, Toro. He is almost certainly accurate about the BOC not having a legal leg to stand on in banning Chambers (or anybody for that matter) sine die from the Olympic team. Pointing this out is nothing like the same as condoning drug taking.

And your sport has a immense image problem and will have for many years hence. Which it brought on itself.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've met Pound a couple of times. He was Chair of the Board at my uni.

He's the most straight-up guy in world sport, bar none.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pound is a ludicrous self-publicising narcissist who tries to smack down any anti-drug measure not taken by WADA in order to preserve his own territorial pissings. He has long since lost any serious claim to "straight-upness" as he becomes more and more obsessed with his image as a crusader.

I'm fully aware, Janik, that cycling has a huge image problem - I'm also more than aware that it has by far the most stringent anti-drugs regulations and testing regimes of any sport. It needs them, undoubtedly, but it has them. But since it's not administrated by WADA, it doesn't count.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might mean that sarcasitaclly, but actually it is quite right. Any anti-drugs programme adminstered by the sport itself and no-one else cannot be trusted and doesn't count. It is far too open to corruption if it's not being run by an outside agency.
Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that. I mean, Major League umpires are paid by MLB. That fact alone doesn't mean they're bent.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think "bent" is the word you want there, Reed. Or maybe it is!
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know?

Speaking of Pounding, take a look at this (not obscene)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAQHbCvXhI&feature=related

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Janik - "administered independently" is not the same as "adminstered by WADA".

Not only is the UCI programme far more stringent than WADA's in its own right, but it is independently administered. As are the yet more stringent programmes which an increasing number of major teams are instituting.

But this thread isn't about cycling. It's about Dick "Dick" Pound, power-hungry demarcating narcissist.

Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But is that Pound's fault, Toro? My understanding is that the IOC and the World Anti-doping Code more or less obliges WADA to take this stance.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Well, nobody else in WADA seems to think so. This is judging by both the paucity of public announcements in support of Pound not made by Pound himself, and the numerous off-the-record reports of total exasperation with his limelight-hogging.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC