This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » MLB 2008: The year of anti-Boston (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: MLB 2008: The year of anti-Boston
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As ursus alluded to on the fantasy thread, it starts on 03/25/08.

Feel free to add your hopes and dreams for the coming season here.

My name is Gerontophile, and I am a baseball fan. It all started for me watching and waiting for the football scores on a Saturday afternoon. Occasionally on a UK TV programme called "World of Sport", they would show this weird, exotic version of rounders which I used to play in the street (summertime only in Glasgow), and I loved it.

There were exotic names like the Cincinatti Reds and people called Nolan (as their forename!!!) and I watched in awe, as these big men threw and hit.

Fast forward a few years to when I discovered cable TV and I find that apparently this game is played every year, and they show the final on European telly! WOW. (highlights only in my case, and the first World Series I saw, was a victory for some Canadian team, with a screaming, leaping man, dancing around the bases as he hit the winning home run (I may have this wrong, but, thats the key memory sorry. I am getting on a bit)

I watch the final for a few years, until, YES, FINALLY A UK TV channel is showing a baseball game a week. My first memory is of the majestic Ken Griffey, and a gangly, HUGE pitcher named Randy. Not so fucking Randy after a fastball into the gut, I tell you.

But my main memory of that time is a guy called Jim Eisenreich who came to the plate sweating and twitching and playing brilliantly (I thought he had Tourettes, and I think I am right.)

And then, and then... I saw them. The Yankees.

Those stripes, that swagger.

and Joe Torre.

and then the bastard goes to manage the fucking Dodgers. twat. I wish him well.

OK in all seriousness, the Yankees have a couple of young pitchers, and still have a galeforce offence. If the pitchers hold up, and Rivera isnt passed it, we have a shot at the playoffs. My tip is for:

Detroit Tigers

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
March 25!? What the hell?

So are you saying you are a Yankees fan, gerontophile?

Your memory of the leaping man is correct, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AG6GcSwQCE

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the big one for my beloved Cubbies.

The 100th anniversary of our last World Series championship.

The century of anguish ends here (but only because we will start a new one next year).

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, a family member went to the US and all he came back with was a signed Joe Torre cap.

Ich ben een YANKEE!

please address all shit to

gerontophile@notfuckingworried.com

I HATE STEINBRENNER, if thats a help.

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

ursus, would you like a cup of tea?

Unfortunately, all the teams around yours are better than you this year... the cubbies may be back to normal

[ 11.03.2008, 17:13: Message edited by: gerontophile ]

gerontophile
Member # 954

oh and thanks to Matej (I now owe him many, MANY beers) I have the Yankees v Toronto on sopcast 27229

Its Muller time

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing this since before you were born, gero. I passed the tea stage by the age of ten.

The only real positive for this year's Cubs are that they are in the worst division in baseball by some margin. As a result, anything is possible, at least until October.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

Oh shit... Alex hits one down the middle.

Matej, I take it all back, my life is now lost.

Fucking hell, the Yankees look good, early.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

These games don't count, gero.
gerontophile
Member # 954

no, really, ursus?

The fact that they lost GOD, and still are knocking the shit out of everyone is just a warm up.

Thats cool, or sorry, dats cool

I remember Joe Girardi biting his glove behind a pitch that 'won' the world series. AAAAAnd he is home, innit.

Jose Molina just got a hit... not good for Toronto

gerontophile
Member # 954

oh, and maybe its just me, but Jorge Posada is running the bench, which is rather wonderful, cos he is shit hot at everything.

I have high hopes, until June, when Boston get their pitchers back apart from schilling who is apparently out for a while.

gerontophile
Member # 954

that was so IN
gerontophile
Member # 954

I forgot how much I love baseball, and I mean love. I would crawl over Celtic to get to Cooperstown.

I am now going to have a drink, I may be some time

Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the Year of the Jay.

Until the end of April anyhow.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved those Toronto World Serieses in the early 90s. I guess they're not rated very highly now, but at the time I thought they were epic (though I guess everything is to a 13-year old then). Though they couldn't top what I thought must have been at the time, and I know for a fact many others say so, the Greatest World Series of All Time (GWSOAT), the Twins-Braves in 1991.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC