This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » MLB 2008: The year of anti-Boston (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: MLB 2008: The year of anti-Boston
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My point of view is slightly skewed, but the best World Series I have seen was 2001.

Un-fucking-believable.

Tino Maritnez hits the winner, and then Rivera throws his worst two pitches ever, and Gonzo hits the winner. And all of this after the best flypast in history (nobody noticed the stealth fighters) and the two best pitchers I have ever seen (on TV). Randy take a bow. Curt, go fuck yourself.

Apologies for a couple of posts upthread. I was really pissed last night. My flatmate came home, saw I was watching baseball online, and immediately thought I would like some Chenin Blanc to go with it. If he ever liked baseball, he would be the perfect friend.

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really a big follower (especially now I don't live in the States, and will therefore not see a single game, and will forget for weeks at a time to check the standings), but "my team" for my sins is the Oakland A's.

And I hate the Yankees.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gero, you might enjoy perusing the 2006 baseball thread, which includes declarations of allegiance (and everlasting hatred) from a number of us, as well as more baseball historical tangents than one can shake a bat at.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does one do this? Er, play up you Reds. Or something.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's Go Reds.

And show some love for this hydrocephalous fellow:

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Red did pretty well for himself.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Reds have gone back to using this version:
 -

This is the version I grew up with:
 -

[ 12.03.2008, 14:50: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Though they kept Mr. Red (as well as Mr. Redlegs and a miserable Phanatic ripoff named Gapper, it appears).
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
geronto will be pleased to see what Mitch Williams (the man who served up Joe Carter's series-winning homer) is doing these days.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Gapper before, but that sort of thing is common.

The Pirates have two mascots - the traditional Pirate Parrot and a new guy named Jolly Roger (kids submitted their ideas to the Trib-Review) who looks like a stereotypical pyrate.

[ 12.03.2008, 15:50: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read about the Mitch Williams incident on a blog yesterday as this thread was cooking, and I thought about posting but never got around to it.

I was at a party the night of the final game of the 1993 World Series, and some of us would sporadically nip into a bedroom with a TV to have a look at the game. When Mitch Williams was put in, everyone's heart sank because we knew the inevitable conclusion. If a bunch of drunk partygoers knew it was wrong, why couldn't Jim Fregosi?

Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, the Phils didn't have anyone else in their pen that year.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
19-year old Dodgers lefty Clayton Kershaw might be one to keep an eye on. Check out this curveball:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2M0c6DxCMY

He also has a 97-mph fastball. Don't know if he'll be in the bigs this season, but he's getting a lot of buzz.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was a guy last year from the Wankees, something Kennedy I think his name is.

I saw him pitch in Spring training, online. Wow, he may be a find.

Otherwise, frankly, we are fucked. I am currently watching Boston rip the piss out of the Twins, and the Sux arent even trying.

[ 12.03.2008, 18:41: Message edited by: gerontophile ]

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

That's not a real game, you know.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC