This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » MLB 2008: The year of anti-Boston (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: MLB 2008: The year of anti-Boston
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who does Kershaw think he is ? Mike Scott circa 1986 ?

Funny, I was looking up Mike Scott clips and I found Charlie KERfeld of the 86 Astros, drinking then pouring beer on Nolan Ryan's privates and subsequently getting reverse-Champagnesprayed by the future Texas Agriculture Commision officer.

Another Mike Scott who's thrown a curveball instead of throwing them.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geontophile is investing WAY too much interest in Spring training.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scotian42
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Scotian42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, g, Spring Training games are the most meaningless pre-season games of any sport. I mean, Billy Crystal is going to play in a game for the yankees. These are not things to get worked up over.
Posts: 252 | From: The Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, I know, I know. Like pre-season friendlies in soccer.

My love of baseball is becoming so overwhelming that I am dancing around the room just thinking about the season starting.

Non-specfic-deity knows what I would be like if I were in the vicinity of a ballpark. I would be so high that they might stop me getting in, for fear of my overdosing on adrenalin.

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh and spring training means nothing? Tell that to the Yankees and Rays. Admittedly it was all a bit handbags, but the Yankees were so fast out of the dugout, it could have been scripted.

Bring it on, you Yankee-bashing (cant think of a strong enough expletive) people!!!

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

anyone know why the sopcast link (a couple of pages ago) isnt working anymore?
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
myp2p works for me. All of today's games are over with, though.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

sorry, was trying to show my mate who will get to like the Yankees, although he thinks that the Indians is a good name for a team (cock), how it worked. It didnt, no worries. I will pay for it.
Inca
Member # 675

Rather surprising article on Lenny Dykstra from the New Yorker. Apparently after leaving the game, Dykstra became a very successful day trader and got rich, and is starting a magazine for pro athletes, the Players Club, that will encourage them to manage their wealth. He also seems like a douche:

quote:
Lenny and I went to the Four Seasons, for dinner. He walked in wearing his baseball cap, and with a laptop open. After telling the waitress that she shouldn’t offer Evian (“We saved the French”), he asked whether she had an extension cord and wouldn’t mind running it across to our table. “We’re low on juice,” he said. She indulged him, and even placed a chair from an unoccupied table over the cord at its midpoint, to serve as a kind of traffic cone. No matter: first one woman, and then another, tripped over it. “Why is everyone walking through here?” Dykstra exclaimed. “It’s a fucking magnet.”

His phones kept ringing. (“People say there’s three of me.”) Lane wanted to direct his attention to the front page of ESPN.com, which read, “Living the Nightmare”—the perfect foil to the Players Club slogan. The article itself was slugged “From a Benz to a bike,” and told the story of Clayton Holmes, a former Dallas Cowboys defensive back who now lives in a shack in front of his mother’s trailer, in South Carolina. Another call came from Janet Jones-Gretzky, Wayne Gretzky’s wife. (“Where’s Wayner?” Dykstra asked. “I’ll tell you, we did some cool stuff to the place. . . . We put some new carpet on the back stairs.”) [Dykstra bought the Gretzky's old house] A few minutes later, Dykstra began swaying to a ringtone from “Angie,” by the Rolling Stones. This caller was Gretzky himself, a Players Club board member. Dykstra asked me to order him a wedge of iceberg with blue cheese, and excused himself to go outside and chat. By the time he returned, the piano player had started his set. “Brutal—can’t take this,” Dykstra said. We moved to a table on the opposite side of the restaurant. After some consultation with her manager, the waitress informed Dykstra that the Four Seasons didn’t offer iceberg lettuce. “I do have romaine,” she said. “Would that be O.K.?”

“Give me a cheeseburger,” he said.

Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lenny Dykstra is possibly my most hated baseball player of all time.

Gigantodickhead.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moneyball has a lot on Dykstra, arguing that his mental blank slate was a big contributor to his success. By contrast, Billy Beane didn't make it as a player because he thought too much and was too self-conscious as a batter.

Clearly, if Dykstra's business is going to succeed (and it sounds like a winning idea) he needs to hire some ettiquette consultants and take their course himself.

Then again, reading that sort of story in The New Yorker bothers me. It seems like "Hey all you sophisticated New Yorker readers, lets laugh at the dumb rube jock who doesn't know how to behave in the Four Seasons! Of course, because he's white, it's ok to laugh at Dykstra."

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC