This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The most watched leagues in the world (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The most watched leagues in the world
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if we are really being inclusive, my guess is NASCAR destroys all other leagues in average attendance.

But again, it's deceiving because NASCAR simply lends itself to massive spectator events because the of the way the tracks are set up; it doesn't necessarily imply anything about popularity, etc.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it implies something about popularity.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well, NASCAR and F1 are harder to compare, because there is only one race event on a given week during the season.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's F1 average attendance?

The other thing about Formula 1 that makes it especially difficult to compare to other sports is that it is an international circuit, not a national league.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked for NASCAR too, but it is even less comparable because you are almost always looking at once a year events held in massive locations that aren't even arenas in many respects.

I would also agree with Reed that these numbers say something popularity, but posit that the correlation is far from 1 to 1 (as I'm sure he would agree).

I don't think that there are central figures for F1, but I would guessestimate average attendance at something around 100,000 to 125,000 or so, if we are just talking about the race on Sunday (and not the entire weekend). Monza is usually about 125,000 to 150,000, and it is one of the more popular races. Measuring attendance for something like Monaco is inherently difficult, however (and Shanghai will be even worse in that respect).

[ 25.03.2008, 18:08: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Obviously it implies something about popularity. It was a poor choice of words. Indeed, my point was as as ursus indicated.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

I'm going to start a related thread on the football board. Look for it.
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nine again soon. Ottawa's coming back in 2010. Third time lucky?
No.

I could go on about why, but...no.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they changing the nickname?
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their impact as a visitor as been greater, as their nationwide supporter base means that they are almost always the most popular visitor to any of the other teams (

I know Ursus, that's what I meant by "back in town".

25,000 sounds about right for their new stadium. A couple of seasons ago they got a crowd of 18,000 for a Champions League game against Bayern Munich, who you'd think would be a fairly big draw.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they changing the nickname?

I don't think they've decided yet. The league only gave the go-ahead a week or so back. The latest group to throw caution to the wind are headed by the guy who owns the Ottawa 67s.

[ 25.03.2008, 18:51: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Ah well, I actually figured that you knew that, but thought the additional context was useful.

It is interesting to note that the Serie A attendances are still struggling notwithstanding the addition of Juventus, Napoli and Genoa (all of whom are relatively good draws). Looking at the site I linked to, last year's average (with none of those 3) was 19,711; this year's so far is 23,392. That's almost a 19% increase, but the average figure is still strikingly low. And even though many of the teams at the bottom of the attendance standings are also fighting relegation, of the teams challenging for promotion from Serie B only Bologna could hope to better the average (whereas Albinoleffe would likely establish a new all time low).

Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the site I linked to, last year's average (with none of those 3) was 19,711; this year's so far is 23,392.

Hang on -- if these numbers are true (I've got no reason to disbelieve them), where does that figure of 25,800 on page 1 come from?

The figure for 05/06 was definitely around 19,000 -- we had a thread about it at the time.

[ 25.03.2008, 19:02: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

They come from "Nuts", as Rogin said.

The 05/06 average was 22,476 according to that site, which I think is pretty reliable. I think the thread may have been on the 06/07 figures.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC